Friday, May 8, 2009

Joining the Hand-Piecing Bandwagon!




After encouragement from fellow bloggers, I'm trying my hand at hand-piecing. And I love it. It's very soothing and something you can take with you. Although my local quilt shop owner insists you can take your sewing machine with you when you travel, (lol), I prefer something I can stuff inside my purse. The sewing machine doesn't quite fit! And I can't imagine what my dh would say if I added a sewing machine to the already excessive amount of luggage we travel with. Well, "we" isn't quite accurate...


I'm following a book of patterns that begins with simply made blocks and advances slowly. Last night I finished my first block, a railfence. I'm using some left over fabric from my stash.

So keep an eye on me as I add to my hand-pieced blocks to make a sampler that I will hand quilt! Of course I'm also finishing a binding on a baby quilt, machine piecing a twin quilt, designing and machine sewing a new baby quilt and all of the projects listed in the last post. When will I sleep?



Here is the back of my block. I'm just feeling a bit feisty and have the urge to live dangerously, so I'm confessing I press my seams open.

Is your heart pounding? Blood pressure going up?

Pressing open works for me. Easier to piece and match. (I also press open seams for machine quilting).

Take a deep breath...For a good discussion about pressing, you may want to check out Oh Fransson.

Have a great evening despite my confession.

1 comments:

Micki on May 9, 2009 at 5:10 PM said...

You did a wonderful job on your handpiecing. It is very relaxing to do it while watching tv...It is such fun! You should try Inklingo...you would love it!
Micki

Post a Comment

 

Cute As A Button Quilts Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez